The information mentioned on this site is meant to be a guide for you to sort out what is needed.
If you want this all to be done for you, please contact our clinic so we can recommend a pet travel and relocation agency who are specialized and sort out the documents on a daily bases. They can also take care of collecting your pets to & from the airport taking away all your worries.
We try to keep the information on this site as up-to-date as possible but require you to double check the information if you decide to sort out all the paperwork yourself.
Prepare your pet + documents
If you plan to travel with your pet, start planning & preparing your plans as early as possible. For some countries it can take as much as 8 months ahead of traveling preparing to get all the papers organized before you are ready to go. (information:
Sedation or not.....
Sedating your pet will only last him/her a short while and when they regain full consciousness they might be more upset then when left to deal with the situation. Some sedatives do have cardio-vascular side-effects and will leave your pet in a worse shape to deal with temperature differences & blood pressure changes. Also your pet will be in a pressurized room which might give a different work spectrum of the used drug. We do therefore not advice to have your pet sedated on a trip. (also see: http://www.iata.org
A Travelbox is very important. It should be of the correct size otherwise the airline can refuse the cargo since they will be fined if they accept. It is best if you get your pet accustomed to his Travelbox a few weeks before traveling so he/she is comfortable with it (feed them in it or have them sleep in it at night). Leave something with a familiar smell in the box to comfort the pet. Put an incontinence pad on the bottom to absorb the fluids produced during the flight.
- Allow your pet access to water at all times, the rabbit drinking bottles are working quite well for this. They will not spill too much leaving your pets cage dry during the trip.
- Don’t feed your pet just before traveling since this might make them sick and soil their cages.
- Take your pet for a nice walk before enclosing him/her. Make sure they have done all needed doing.
- Pets have to be on the most direct flight to the country of destination.
- Try to book night arrival times in M.E. Countries (this protects your pet from mistakes being made in the full sun).
Some animals (other then dogs & cats) are of protected species, meaning that they can not travel with you without a special document. If you are not sure if your pet is one of them please check the website of CITES.
(the link of the UAE officials for CITES to be reached)