HEAT AWARENESS DAY – keep pets inside during summer heat
May 23 is National Heat Awareness Day which is a great time to plan summertime pet’s safety. So before you head out to parks or beaches, we would like to remind you to look out for the well-being of your pets. Dubai’s weather is extremely hot during summer thus the safety of animals should be taken into consideration. Pets should stay inside as much as possible and should have an easy access to well-ventilated and cooled rooms.
Below are some tips and effective methods to keep your pets healthy and happy during the warmer months:
- Never leave your pet unattended in a vehicle.
- Always provide cool and clean water and ample shade.
- Do not over-exert or over-exercise your pet during warm weather.
- Keep an eye out on the weather. Don’t walk your dog in the middle of the day when tempertures are the highest.
- Keep your pet indoors. Try to stay at home or have someone at home with your pet to keep an eye on how they’re going, particularly those who are senior and/or are ill.
- You may offer frozen treats to your dogs; doggy ice creams.
- Most dogs love to play in the water and even more so when the weather is hot! A small paddle pool with water is a great way to cool them down.
- For cats and senior pets, try a spray bottle or pat them down with a damp towel.
- Know the signs and symptoms of heat-related illness such as heat stroke.
- In case of emergency, if you only think your pet is overheated, don’t hesitate and immediately call your vet.
ABVC provides free nurse advice for prevention and first-aids during this month. You may also send your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance or you can call us directly at 04-3408601.