Pet Fire Safety Day – what to put in place to ensure you and your Pet are safe
Regularly we hear and read about horrifying fires in the high rise buildings, warehouses and even villas of Dubai, UAE. Often we are informed about the despair this has brought to the people living in those facilities, seldom we read anything about the Pets that were trapped inside and did or did not make it out in time.
We like to share with you some ideas on how to ensure your pet is safe or rescued when a fire breaks out but also how to prevent your Pet from starting a Fire as well.
- Ensure people are aware there is an animal in the house
- Keep young animals confined when you are not able to supervise their inquisitive nature
- Keep animals close to entrances so they can be easily rescued
- Ensure your house/flat/apartment building is regularly inspected for fire safety and up to date with sprinklers, extinguishers and monitored smoke detectors, ensuring early notification and access to products stopping the fire
- Plan and train on escape routes and routines so when an unfortunate day arrives you know what to do, this safes time and lives. Do not underestimate to also train children as they can be confident and brave support!
- Although in the UAE no animals should be kept outdoors, ensure for those who are outdoors to be away from easily igniting srubs or other flammable objects.
- Pet Alert window clings — These static clings alert firefighters that pets are inside. Indicating the number of pets on these clings can help save critical time for firefighters. They should be placed so they are readily seen by firefighters.
- Ensure your pet is microchipped and registered so when it escapes the flames it can be reunited with you
- Extinguish open flames or even better do not have open flames when pets are around, use flameless candles instead
- Pet proof your home by closely monitoring points of interest of your pet, think about stove knobs that can be switched on, creating overheating/fire
- Ensure no paper can be moved close to hot/heated parts
- Ensure no glasses are left to magnify sunbeams and focus on paper, causing it to set fire
- Ensure electrical wires can not cause short circuit and start a fire
It is important to think about these issues as this might be the difference of life and death in Fire related issues.